Monday, July 16, 2012

Friendship is Magic, and the Mane Six


Like tens if not hundreds of thousands of others, I’m a brony – an adult, male fan of Hasbro’s My Little Pony:  Friendship is Magic series.  It’s something that seems unusual to those outside of the brony community; after all, My Little Pony is something that’s always been associated with and marketed to little girls.  And until Friendship is Magic came along in 2010, it pretty much was.  Friendship is Magic, however, is different.  While it’s true that younger girls are the main demographic the show is targeted towards, show developer Lauren Faust designed it to not be overly girly, and to be enjoyable by all both men and women of all ages:

 I didn't create this show for little girls, I created it for little girls and their parents--including male parents. It only stands to reason that adult animation fans without children may like it, too. 

To me, it’s no different than a show like Sesame Street:  even though it’s clearly targeted at children, it’s designed in a way that adults can enjoy it too; plenty of grown-ups watch classic clips from the show both with and without their children.  Likewise, Friendship is Magic can potentially be enjoyable for anyone who approaches the show with an open mind, and doesn’t decide they’re not going to give the show a chance because of the past of the My Little Pony brand.  I encourage anyone who hasn't done so to at least watch an episode or two  it's not hard to find all the episodes on Youtube.

So why exactly do we bronies enjoy the show?  Honestly, there’s no one simple answer.  There’s lots of things to like, and different people have different reasons.  One strong reason for me, however, is the characters themselves.  The six central characters (or the “Mane 6” as the fandom calls them) are all very strong, developed characters with unique personalities.  While they’re all very different, they all share a strong sense of friendship with each other.  They’re all very likeable, and I’m always rooting for them to be successful in their endeavors.  Here’s some information on why I like each of them, starting with my favorite:

1. Twilight Sparkle
She’s easily my favorite character, largely because her personality is a lot like mine.  She shows many traits of Asperger’s syndrome, which I have myself:  She is socially awkward, is especially interested and talented in a specific thing (in her case, it’s unicorn magic), and had no interest in making any friends until she was forced to.  I find she often reacts to situations in much the same way I would.   Because of these similarities, I associate myself with her the most.

Favorite Twilight Sparkle moment:
Because I love her character so much, there’s a lot of moments that come to mind.  Some of the best ones are:
  • The adorkableness of her reading about how to throw a slumber party,
  • The insanity she goes through when things aren’t going as she planned (Swarm of the Century, Lesson Zero, and It’s About Time all have examples of this)
  • Being the only one able to calm down the rampaging Ursa in the episode “Boast Busters”
  • Her utter joy at being accepted to Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns (and the joy she gets just from telling the story):



But if I had to choose one above all the rest, I’d go with the entire episode Winter Wrap Up.  The premise is that Ponyville needs to clean up the town and get ready for spring, but as the town was founded by Earth ponies (i.e. non-unicorn, non-pegasus ponies), it’s tradition for the town to prepare for spring without the aid of unicorn magic.  Twilight tries helping with a number of activities, but without being able to use her magic, she isn’t really good at any of them.  It turns out that because of poor organization, the rest of the town actually doesn’t do any better, and it appears they won’t finish on time.  Twilight ends up saving the day, using her organizational skills to direct the various teams and help everybody finish on time.  It’s a great episode that helps to build her character.  It also has a great example of the wonderful music the show has, which is another of the things I really like about Friendship is Magic.



While Twilight Sparkle is very similar in personality to the way I actually am, Rainbow Dash is very similar to the way I like to think of myself as being, even though I’m really not.  She’s very brave, competitive, and athletic, and while being “cool” is very important to her, her loyalty to her friends comes first.  I also love her determination to impress her heroes, the Wonderbolts (basically the Pegasus equivalent of the Blue Angels). 

Favorite Rainbow Dash moment:
Some of my favorite Rainbow Dash moments are really quotes rather than moments, like “It needs to be about 20% cooler” and “I could clear the sky in ten seconds flat” (which she then proves isn’t just idle boasting).  But to me, the most epic moments are the ones where she pulls off her Sonic Rainboom.



While the other ponies’ positions on my favorites list is pretty much fixed, these two are the hardest for me to give an exact place for.  I could really list Rarity higher one day and Fluttershy the next without basing it on anything in particular.  So I’ll just say they’re tied for third.

Rarity is a fashion designer, and is easily the girliest character on the show, but even she isn’t anywhere near overboard with it.  I enjoy her preoccupation with making things beautiful, and that she is very generous and patient with others.  I also like that, despite her girliness, she’s completely able for standing up for both others and herself, as demonstrated best in my…

Favorite Rarity moment:
Rarity’s assertiveness in “A Dog and Pony Show.”  While out using her magic to find gems for her dresses, she’s kidnapped by a group called the Diamond Dogs, who intend to force her to find gems for them.  The diamond dogs are dumb and dim-witted, however, and instead of being the typical damsel in distress waiting to be rescued, she annoys the dogs to the point that by the time her friends come to the rescue, they want them to take her away.



Fluttershy reminds me of myself in some ways, though not to the extent that Twilight Sparkle does.  As her name suggests, she’s quite shy and timid.  She also loves nature, particularly animals, which I find appealing.  She’s very kind, almost to a fault, as she generally won’t stand up for herself.  She will certainly stand up for others, however, and some of her most awesome moments are when she does so, such as when she confronts the dragon in the episode “Dragonshy” and staring down the cockatrice in “Stare Master.”



Favorite Fluttershy moment:
Still, if I had to pick a favorite, I’d have to go with her cheering practice.  I could totally see myself being the exact same way.



It’s hard not to love Pinkie Pie.  She’s almost always so cheerful, energetic, and just generally random.  She loves parties, and she sings a lot.  Just watching her be herself can cheer me up.  She’s also very “cartoony,” frequently breaking the fourth wall and performing typical cartoonish gags.

Favorite Pinkie Pie moment:
There’s too many great Pinkie Pie moments to list them all, but among my favorites are the Piggy Dance song she uses to try to cheer up Mr. and Mrs. Cake’s foals, and her hilarious tactlessness while trying to befriend Cranky Doodle Donkey.  But the most memorable is when she (incorrectly, of course) thinks her friends don’t want to be her friends anymore, and she completely loses it:



6.  Applejack
Although she technically is my least favorite of the “Mane 6,” I do still like her.  She’s a southern-accented country farm girl, and I usually end up hating such characters, because they’re often bland, one-dimensional characters who have interests that are completely opposite of mine.  Applejack, however, is nothing like that.  She’s a very hard worker, and her determination is admirable.  If there’s any fault to find, in fact, it’s that she’s not focused on enough in the show – as some in the brony community have noted, she frequently ends up sharing the spotlight in episodes where she’s supposedly the main character.

Favorite Applejack moment:
“Dear Princess Celestia:  I didn’t learn anything!  I was right all along!”  That’s the element of honesty talking there, for sure.


1 comment:

  1. William,
    You give wonderful insight into the characters on the show. You are a gifted writer. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete